Head of Center of Excellence – Research manager
In his role as Head of Centres of Excellence, this individual will provide strategic leadership to drive the successful implementation of a global vision for research and development. A critical aspect of this role is supervising and mentoring a diverse team of scientists operating in various locations. The Head of Centres of Excellence will be responsible for maintaining scientific excellence, managing talent, and promoting the evolution of resources and capabilities within the Centres.
By actively engaging with internal and external researchers and company stakeholders, the Head of Centers of Excellence will strengthen the external scientific visibility of Lallemand Animal Nutrition. They will also play a central role in building strategic partnerships with academic and private institutions. This includes the development of customer partnerships focused on the application, development and implementation of technology solutions and services.
Key responsibilities include:
- Promote scientific excellence: Represent the company in scientific organizations and engage with key thought leaders in the field.
- Actively participate in the "Species" Council teams to identify emerging trends that align with business and client needs. Contribute to the development and improvement of research, development and innovation strategies.
- Oversee internal and external collaborative projects and programs focused on emerging technologies.
- Develop and manage research roadmaps for centres to guide their scientific efforts.
- Provide scientific resources and capacity to support ongoing and future development projects.
- Design medium and long-term plans to structure, develop and optimize the organization and functions of the centers.
- Oversee preclinical and clinical research activities within the centres.
- Manage team performance based on key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Collaborate with other R&D leaders to manage the product development pipeline.
- Partner with technical and business teams to disseminate knowledge and data from various research projects.
- Engage with external stakeholders to support business growth and cultivate strategic research partnerships with key clients.
- Directs the operating budget, expenditures and investments of the Centres of Excellence.
- A Ph.D. or doctoral dissertation in microbiology or a related field of biology involving microbiology.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and partner with internal and external stakeholders and customers.
- 8+ years of research experience in both the public and private sectors, ideally with prior involvement in an animal nutrition or animal health company.
- Leadership experience in coaching research teams with several years of supervisory roles.
- Strong academic credentials and track record of scientific publications.
- Proven experience in effectively managing a network of external research collaborations between public and private institutions.
- Up-to-date and solid scientific knowledge in applied and molecular microbiology.
- Extensive expertise in animal nutrition and animal husbandry.
- Strategic thinker who can foresee future opportunities and respond to market needs.
- Ability to translate complex scientific information into clear and understandable messages.
- Hands-on approach to tasks and challenges.
- Possess a business-oriented mindset.
- Demonstrated autonomy in managing responsibilities.
- Strong team player with exceptional interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Adaptability in multicultural and international environments.
- Be comfortable managing multiple projects, demonstrate a strong ability to prioritize.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken); Fluency in another language is highly valued.
Lallemand is a privately held Canadian company founded in the late 19th century, which develops, produces, and markets microorganisms for various markets. The administrative offices of the parent company are in Montreal, Canada. Today, Lallemand employs more than 5,000 people working in more than 45 countries on 5 continents.
Lallemand Animal Nutrition is committed to optimizing animal performance and wellbeing with specific microbial product and service solutions. We develop, produce and market silage additives, probiotics, antioxidants and yeast derivatives for animal nutrition, as well as microbial solutions for animal environment. We serve all livestock markets: ruminant, swine, poultry, aquaculture as well as equine and companion animals. We like to define ourselves as a “field-led science supported” company. As such, our solutions are supported by a strong commitment to R&D and technical support with a team of experts in the field. Our solutions are marketed in over 80 countries around the world, through our own sales teams or local distributors.
Please take note that accommodations will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.