VP Quality and Continuous Improvement - Lallemand Baking North America (Temporary 12 months)
Scope: Canada, United States and Mexico. May be based in the following areas: Montreal QC, Memphis TN, Hattiesburg MS, Wahpeton ND, Baltimore MD.
The Vice-President of Quality and Continuous Improvement (QCI) oversees the business unit’s operations pertaining to quality, food safety, regulatory compliance, and continuous improvement. They utilize their knowledge and expertise to optimize practices and resolve a multitude of situations; and provide direction and oversight to the business unit team covering a variety of functions such as laboratory methods and controls, quality assurance, quality systems, food safety culture, sanitation, auditing, supply chain quality, baking applications, etc.
- Champion a shared vision and commitment to quality, food safety and continuous improvement
- Participate in the design and execution of the vision and strategy for the future of the business unit through the development and execution of the Quality and Continuous Improvement roadmap
- Serve as a key member of the Operations Leadership Team to ensure that the business unit is performing to meet its objectives and budget
- Promote a progressive quality, food safety and continuous improvement culture that fosters behaviours that lead to world-class business performance and organizational excellence
- Partner cross-functionally with operations, supply chain, technical, marketing, sales, etc. to provide critical input to the planning and execution of our business processes
- Understand and engage with various customer, market, industry, and regulatory requirements to weigh in on business strategy and ensure alignment
- Actively foster the development and the succession planning of the Quality and Continuous Improvement team members
- Analyze and approve Business Management System documentation, including internal and customer product specifications for in-process and finished products
- Perform external benchmark and industry watch to remain aware of competitive Quality and Continuous Improvement practices
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with regulatory bodies, registrars, and other relevant authorities
- Continuously update professional and technical knowledge by attending external training; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks and liaising with trade associations, professional associations, and organizations, etc.
- Provide and analyze regulatory developments, advice and guidance when needed; or enable via contacts and consultation with legal counsel
- Evaluate and contract consulting services when required
- Play a critical leadership role in the assessment of deviations, new requests, and unexpected situations to foster informed decisions preserving food safety, quality and compliance
- Communicate with key customers as needed regarding complaint resolution, quality issues and other projects
- Serve as the main point of contact with regulatory agencies
- Coordinate product withdrawals, recalls and other quality-related emergencies
- Serve as a global Lallemand super administrator for the corporate complaint system
- Liaise with other business units’ quality leads in relation to their products manufactured by our sites as well as other quality topics
- Collaborate with Corporate VP of Quality Assurance to ensure that the appropriate level of quality is provided in relation to Lallemand’s corporate standards
- Written and spoken English. French and/or Spanish is a plus
- 5+ years of experience with Lean Six Sigma continuous improvement methodologies, with a recognized external certification
- Experience with Canadian, United States and Mexican food regulations
- 15+ years of experience in quality management in a GFSI environment in the food industry, including proven track record of leadership and managing quality teams with responsibility across multiple sites
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science, Biology or equivalent experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- A working knowledge of statistical process controls tools and/or project management practices
- The ability to apply pragmatic, risk-based decision making
- Strong networking skills
- Excellent organizational, verbal, communication, and presentation skills
- Strong leadership with a passion for building and mentoring a team with the desire to drive sustainable change in the business unit
- Innovative mindset and push to do things differently
- Must be available to provide support during off hours for emergencies and travel up to 50% of the time
- Must hold a driver's license and a valid passport
Lallemand is a privately held Canadian company, founded at the end of the 19th century, specializing in the development, production and marketing of yeasts and bacteria. The company is comprised of 11 major business units, each focused on specific applications of yeast and bacteria, with activities throughout worldwide. Administrative offices for the parent company are in Montreal, Canada. Today, Lallemand employs more than 4500 people working across more than 45 countries, on 5 continents.
Lallemand Baking offers a range of superior quality baker's yeast – both fresh and dry varieties – and specialty ingredients to meet bakers' needs across North America, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Baking cultures and dough conditioners round out our impressive product range.
The Lallemand baking team's many branches collaborate closely to provide innovative products and efficient services, backed by a skilled technical support team in each region of operations.
Please take note that accommodations will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.